CREATE awesome BUYER PERSONAS for
your handmade business
HELLO & WELCOME
I am Heather Bunker: Designer, branding genius, mom of 4 and DIY lover. This blog is a mix of business and fun - full of helpful tutorials, marketing insights and design inspiration!
NEVER MISS A POST
Subscribe to my newsletter and receive monthly post updates, design insights, and more!
The only way you can create effective buyer personas is through research, real, unwavering research.
Surveys or interviews are a few of the best ways. Mostly you want to get an accurate portrait of who your target audience is so you can make the most of your marketing budget. By taking a mix of customers, leads, and potentially those you have never served, you can align your marketing efforts quite successfully with who your customers really are.
SO LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!
Seriously, do you really have to have an excuse to throw a party? Have a party, grab some swag, and invite your customers…Heck, you could probably partner up with the kick but event caterer down the street and do it up real nice. Interview 10-15 if you could and offer some free swag, gift, or discount for their time. You don’t have to have a party but parties are always fun. You could always do a phone interview or perhaps even a Skype date if you cant manage to pull off a get-together or just have your hands full.
Here are some practical questions for gathering the information you need to develop your own buyer personas.
Here are 17 Questions to ask Your Customers:
1. Please tell me a bit about yourself?
2. Did you go to school? Describe your education.
3. Tell me about your career.
4. In what industry is your business or employer?
5. What is the size of the company?
6. What is your job title?
7. Who do you report to? Who reports to you?
8. How do you measure your success at work?
9. What does a normal day look like for you? Walk me through one...
10. What skills do you need for your job?
11. What are your biggest challenges at your job?
12. What are your responsibilities?
13. Do you have a family? Tell me about them.
14. What do you read?Blogs? Newspapers?
15. What social networks do you use?
16. Do you use the internet to search or research new products?
17. Tell me about a recent online purchase that you made?
PUT TOGETHER YOUR BUYER PERSONAS
Take the questions you just went through with your customer and create your first persona using the most common answers. As you create your Buyer Personas for your handmade business you might find that you have 3-5 different kinds of buyers. I recommend you put together no more than 6 and no fewer than 2. You really want to have a good idea of what kinds of buyers you might have. You can see mine on another blog post I wrote called User Personas And Why You Should Have Them.
WHAT EXACTLY IS NEXT?
So now that you have gone through the list of questions….and put together your Buyer Persona you can put a face to them. Browse some stock photography (I like www.Pexels.com) and find a photo that reflects your imaginary buyer.
Then give them a name. You want to be able to talk about them like they are a real person. You will be able to tailor all of your messages to your new imaginary Buyer Persona.